Ak-Saray Palace is one of Uzbekistan's most famous tourist attractions. The palace was built in 1380 and took 25 years and 50,000 slaves to complete. Not much remains except for the central area where a new statue of Timur stands. It's not uncommon to see 10 weddings at a time posing here for photos at weekends. A large statue of Amir Temur stands proudly in front of the palace. There is a section of old city walls and restored Samarkand Darwaza gate. The inscription on the east tower gives the date 1395, which would seem to suggest the beginning of the decorative work.
Located inside the renovated Chubin Medressa on the eastern side of the square is the Amir Timur Museum. One of the impressive displays in the museum is the large throne placed at the central room. maps and models include the War Drum, an fascinating medieval polo mallet and ball, and the Shamseddin Kulyal gate of the 14th century. Across the park from the museum are a few buildings that appear to have historical significance. The Caravanserai Koba is now a stunning restaurant and the former Medieval Bath has been transformed into a more casual cafe.
The memorial complex was formed after the death of religious leader Shamsiddin Kulal (founder of Sufismin) in 1370-1371. He was the spiritual mentor of Emir Taragay and of Timur himself. The mosque was built by Ulughbek on behalf of his father, Shakhrukh. It is also known as the Friday Mosque of Shahrisabz and as the Gumbazi-Sayidon vault in 1437-1438. It was built on the site of Kulal's burial. During Ulughbek's reign, a domed mausoleum was erected on the site of Shamsiddin Kulal's burial site and on the remains of an earlier and more modest structure.
Timur's eldest son, Jakhongir, was buried in the Dor-us Siyodat memorial complex. The complex was intended for the whole Timurid dynasty and was founded after his death in 1376. Several years later, Timur called the best architects and craftsmen of Khorezm and ordered them to erect the tomb of Prince Jakhongir's Mausoleum. Timur's second son, Umarshaykh (Omar Sheikh), who was killed in 1393 during the siege of the fortress of Kurd in Iran, was also buried there. Armies of Sheybanid ruler Abdullakhan II destroyed the buildings as they entered Shahrisabz in the second half of the sixteenth century, only the mausoleum of Jakhongir survived. The tomb destined for Amir Temur remained empty since it was destined to be buried in Gur-Emir in Samarkand.
Amir Timur Square is named after Amir Timur, the commander and founder of the medieval empire. The square is surrounded by a women's and men's gymnasium, a normal school and a state bank. The exposition of the first and second floors represents a collection of utensils, weapons and clothes belonging to the Timur and Timurid epoch. There is a small park around the monument but after the reconstruction in 2009, the place was transformed into a small square with fountains and plantings. Near Amir Timur Square, there is a theatre and entertainment center, which also contributes significance to the constant popularity of the area.
The opposite of Shamsiddin Kulol Mausoleum is where Kok-Gumbaz Mosque was built in Doru-Tillavat Memorial complex in 1435. It is the largest Friday mosque in Shakhrisabz. A huge dome covered with blue ceramic tiles crowns the building of the mosque. The name of the Mosque—Kok Gumbaz, which means "Blue Dome" around the dome of the Dome, is the inscription with white glazed tiles: "Sovereignty belongs to Allah". An interesting fact is that architects tried to align the height of this mosque with e Kulyal Mausoleum’s height.
Nurata is also known as Nurota and is located on the Silk Road. It is not a part of the itinerary of a visitor of Uzbekistan as it is different from the main attractions Samarkand, Bukhara, Khiva and Tashkent. The town is also renowned for its Suzanis, cotton fabrics adorned with wool or silk embroideries. The key attractions of Nurata include the ruins of Alexander the Great Fortress and Chashma, a complex of religious structures, including a spring and a mosque.